Tuesday 24 April 2012

Hi there, it's Ruby here again.

Today I have a fun little project creating a ‘Smash Book’.  I had no idea what one of these was and had to google it but basically it’s where you have a little book that you use for jotting down ideas, for inspiration, memories and such like.  I think a lot of us are guilty of making cards and projects for others when actually we buy stamps and crafting supplies because we like them, only to give the projects away.  Enter the smash book, you get to play with your crafty supplies and keep what you make!!!
IMG_0884[1]
Stamps used: Lawn Fawn ‘Grand Greetings’ (eek I cut the stamp in half!)
IMG_0898[1]

The ‘start every morning’ sentiment was done by adhering the stamp to the block in a wavy line before stamping, the arrow was drawn by hand and the 'A-N-D’.. ‘A’ stamped with the alphabet set, Sally’s ABC’s.

Paper Smooches ‘Eco Friendly’, ‘Sunny Side Up’ & Lawn Fawn ‘Partly Cloudy’ (right page)

The plain cream tag was sprayed with glimmer mist in red and turquoise before adding the paper pieced sun and cloud  and the little envelope was created using an old wooden template from a craft show I got about 15 years ago!  Inside the little envelope is hand written tag with a personal message on for me.
IMG_0902[1]
Stamps Used: Lawn Fawn ‘Lunar Lights

The page on the left is just the reverse of the cream tag covered in papers.  On the right I cut a mini page, rounded the corners and stamped out the sentiment before cutting and edging with an orange Copic pen. The lantern has Stickles added for a bit of sparkle.
IMG_0904[1]

I stamped the little bird onto the tag and then stamped it again on patterned paper, this was so that I wouldn’t lose the little eyelash of the bird.  I stamped and cut out the word ‘smile’.  The right hand page is just a die cut label with a leaf cut out from Blissful Botanicals and a flower cut out from Judy’s Blooms.  The little pocket was very simply made by cutting a wider sheet of paper, folding it back and attaching it with double sided tap on three sides, leaving the top open.  I then cut a circle using a hole punch to create a pocket for my tag.
IMG_0905[1]

The last double page that I did used the little lanterns from ‘Lunar Lights’.  Two were stamped on orange paper and Stickles added, the other two were stamped on patterned paper and Glossy Accents was added for some gloss.

The final page uses a couple of stamped words and the little label was just cut out, corners rounded and then I stamped the star background by stamping off once onto scrap paper before stamping onto my tag (I think there’s a technical term for this but I don’t know what it is!)  To get the word ‘Thanks’ I just inked the word only to avoid getting ink on the other words.  I covered a wooden peg with patterned paper and plan to make a few more of these up so that I can just keep adding bits as and when I feel like it.  There are still quite a few pages to 'decorate' but it's been fun doing something just for little ole me!

I hope you will try something different with your stamps today and think about making something just for you instead of making it and giving it away!

4 comments:

Kate said...

Love this Ruby...so much work and soo many stamps lol..all worth it for such a great book. :0)
Kate xx

Traceyr said...

wow this is brilliant. Love the wooden peg covered in patterned paper what a good idea. I love your little book.

:)

Unknown said...

so so so cute :))

vixen said...

Gorgeous little book and brilliant use of stamps :)