Monday 23 December 2013

Decorating Candles

Helloooo there :0)

As promised I'm back this morning to share the gifts I made for James's teaching staff and it's a technique I hadn't tried before!!!
I had bookmarked this video tutorial from Lawn Fawn DT member Yainea and finally got round to trying my hand at decorating pillar candles too. I've used the lovely Christmas stamp set from Lawn Fawn called 'Let it Snow' and simply stamped the four smallest trees in a variety of green inks onto white tissue paper.
I found it best to cut them out individually and arrange them on the candle using just a small dab of Pritt Stick to hold them in place.
I used a sheet of greaseproof paper to wrap around the candle whislt melting the tissue into the wax.... you really must keep the heat gun moving as it doesn't take long for the magic to work and keep the greaseproof taught and smooth too. I kept it simple and didn't try coloured images or embossing as Yainea did in her video but I was sooo pleased with the technique and may go on to give it a go :0)
I added a few wraps of jute twine and topped the bow off with a wooden star before placing them in cellophane bags (they are from the baking section of Sainsburys and are meant for sweeties but the Ikea candles fit them perfectly!!). The tags carry the woodland theme on and all those browns, greens and twine just make me happy..... yep I was quite chuffed with how they turned out :0)
If you haven't tried it yet I urge you to watch the video and give it a go.... you'll become addicted too..... yep quite a few people are receiving candles this Christmas from us :0)...... these two were very gratefully recieved.

That's all from me now before the big day on Wednesday so I'd like to wish you all a peaceful Christmas with your loved ones and that you stay safe in these horrible storms that are tormenting patrs of the UK!!

Jenny x



2 comments:

jodpea said...

These look so professional!

Sarah G said...

Love these - they make such a pretty gift! I decorated some candles for our Christmas table but I love the fresh greens on yours. I will get the rest of my candles out to have a play :)