Sunday 26 July 2015

Herd you're a winner!

I'm very late with my post today as I've been quite busy this weekend and didn't get much time to play yesterday and Saturday's are when I normally prepare my post each week.  I knew what set I wanted to play with as I've been desperate to get my hands on it since we started stocking MFT but its been constantly out of stock there.  We have it now and the timing is perfect as I made this first card for my friend at work who has just won her class (Welsh Cob D) at the Royal Welsh Show this week and will now be heading to the Horse of the Year Show!   So this is a quirky take on a congratulations card.


I made a trifold card from a sheet of green card and used the Rolling Hills die to create some background hills and a fence.  I coloured that to look like a barbed wire fence so in the for-ground I used the barbed wire fence die for contrast and interest.  I was also so excited to get to play with the barn die - as well as the die cut pieces (including bales of hay!) the barn itself gets groves embossed as you cut for that authentic wooden board look.  Its even large enough to make stand alone cards with - you'll probably be seeing it alot!  The clouds in the background are by Paper Smooches.  For all the small die cuts like the clouds and fence I applied stick-it to my card stock before die cutting - it makes applying fiddly die cuts SUPER EASY!

The animals and sentiment all come from The Whole Herd set which is just so fabulous and has many uses. I needed to make the pony look like Yswain Amaranthus so he's very dark brown with a black mane but it doesn't show well on the photo - I added his winners rosette using scraps of card and an enamel dot.  The cow and egg nest were also coloured with copics and stuck onto the scene.  You could add more animals to the fields as a tri-fold card gives you lots of surfaces to cover but I kept it simple just adding one cow to match the sentiment.

I couldn't stop there - I'd seen a card by one of the MFT DT when this set was released that I really loved the idea of, so here is my reinterpretation of it.


What I loved was her use of the cow print stencil but I wanted a traditional black and white not red.  I used distress ink in black soot through the stencil, cleaned the stencil and then offset it and drew around the edges using a white pencil.   It gives a funky 3D look that is quick and easy to create.  I just added a couple more copic coloured cows and a sentiment on a spotted teal banner for a pop of colour using foam tape for dimension to make them stand out.

NEWS FROM THE STORE:

  • We had restocks and some new items which customers had requested from My Favorite Things yesterday.
  • We are waiting for delivery of the new release from Neat and Tangled and Lil' Inker Designs - they should be here early to mid-week this week.
  • We have our order in for the new release from Altenew but it will be at least couple of weeks until it arrives as they are not the fastest shippers.
  • Our MASSIVE order for the Lawn Fawn winter release is in - delivery is expected at the end of August.  Please note we are not taking pre-orders.

1 comment:

Karin Ã…kesdotter said...

Great news! and such great cards! Love your 3-fold country scene extra much!